Before Rhia moved to Copenhagen, I pretty much lived in her house in Wales. It was way easier (and cheaper!) than flying back and forth all the time. And also, it’s kinda in the lesbian contract that you have to live together after a few months of being together, so… I was just doing what was expected of me, you know?
Every Monday we would go to Revolution and get Denver fries. Fries grilled with a mushroom & garlic sauce and a shit ton of cheese. They were awesome. They were dirty fries.
But since being vegan, and of course since not living in Wales anymore, I haven’t had my weekly fix. Until today. I don’t know what took me this long. It’s like I thought it would be impossible to recreate or something…
Here’s my version of dirty fries with white wine, lemon and thyme!
• 2 servings of fries
• 200 grams of portobello mushrooms
• 1/2 of a red or white onion
• 2-4 cloves of garlic
• 2 deciliters of vegan cream
• 1/2 deciliter of white wine
• 1 handful of fresh thyme
• 50 grams of vegan cheese
• 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
• 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 lemon
• Cook the fries according to your preference or instructions on package.
• Heat up some oil in a skillet on a medium heat. Add minced garlic. Cook until fragrant.
• Slice the onion and mushrooms. Add to the garlic oil with the sea salt + pepper and cook until mushrooms are slightly browned.
• Add cream, white wine and thyme. Cook until thickened slightly.
• Spread fries in an oven safe skillet and place the mushrooms mix on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and place under the grill for about 5 minutes. Keep and eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
• Drizzle the dirty fries with fresh lemon juice and serve with a cold beer.
Don’t forget to share your #milkingalmonds recreations on Instagram using the hashtag, so I can see. It’s kind of my favourite thing.