I love mushrooms and I can safely say that they are my favorite vegetable. I think I’ve already written entire paragraphs about mushrooms and how they are the wind beneath my wings and how I’m sure they are gonna have an effect on my future dog’s name. Imagine a French Bulldog called Porcini. Or a White German Shephard called Shiitake. Perfect.
Anyways, I also love aubergines. And garlic. And red onion. So I thought it would be a good idea to throw it all together and see where it would take me. It took me somewhere amazing.
Enjoy this aromatic spread on freshly baked ciabatta, in a sandwich or as a great substitute for pesto in pasta. Or pour it straight into your mouth. No regrets.
The Mushroom & Aubergine Spread
- 300 g mushrooms of choice
- 1/2 aubergine
- 2 red onions
- 4-6 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
The Spread Directions
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 390°F
- Roughly chop aubergine, mushrooms, garlic & red onion and add to a baking dish with balsamic vinegar, maple syrup, olive oil, salt & pepper and give it a toss, so everything is coated evenly.
- Bake for 40 minutes, let cool for 10 minutes and transfer to a food processor (include any remaining liquids from the bottom of the dish).
- Run in food processor until chunky but spreadable.
- Transfer to a clean jar and store in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Enjoy with anything. Yes, anything.