There’s something majorly comforting about a good, solid sandwich, am I right? This vegan meatball sub is no exception! French baguette, balsamic tomato sauce, meatballs, parmesan and parsley. Yes.
You can definitely try making your own meatballs for this vegan meatball sub, but to keep things simple, I’m using store-bought in this recipe. I think they’re available in most countries, but if not, I’m actually working on creating the perfect vegan meatball myself, so stay tuned for that.
You can absolutely also use a store-bought tomato sauce here, but the recipe I have added has a little extra to it. It’s sweet, yet tangy, and goes perfectly as a main component in this vegan meatball sub.
What you’ll need;
– 8 veggie meatballs
– Balsamic tomato sauce
– Rustic baguette
– Toppings such as parsley and vegan parmesan
The balsamic tomato sauce;
– 2 deciliters passata
– 1/2 white onion, diced
– 1 clove of garlic, diced
– 2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
– 1 teaspoon cane sugar
– 1 teaspoon olive oil
– 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
– 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
– 1 pinch nutmeg
1. On a skillet on a medium/high heat, fry the meatballs in a bit of oil until browned.
2. In a saucepan on a medium heat, add all the ingredients for the sauce and let it come to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook for about 10 minutes. The sauce should have thickened at this point. Add the meatballs to the sauce and stir until evenly coated.
3. Halve the baguette, slice down the middle and place four meatballs in each. Top with remaining tomato sauce and garnish with vegan parmesan and chopped parsley. Enjoy! Preferably with a cold, cold, cold beer.
Don’t forget to share your Milking Almonds recreations by using the hashtag #milkingalmonds or #trinerask, because I just really love seeing what you are making.