Cookies… They’re like a warm hug from someone you love. They are comforting, homey, just… warm. I love the feeling they give me. I really love it.
And I of course love the cookie itself. Not just the feeling. No, the taste, the crunch, the chewy texture, the flavours doing their little dance in my mouth. You know?
This is why I love trying to come up with new cookie recipes sometimes. Ain’t nothing wrong with a good old chocolate chip cookie, but sometimes it’s okay to want something different.
The Soft Baked Cashew Butter Cookies
- 120 grams of spelt flour
- 60 grams of cashew butter
- 45 grams of vegan margarine
- 50 grams of muscovado sugar
- 50 grams of cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 pinch of salt (leave out if using salted cashew butter)
- Preheat your oven to 175°C / 350°F
- Mix together the ground chia seeds and water. Leave to thicken whilst measuring out the remaining ingredients; about 5 minutes.
- Cream together the cashew butter, vegan margarine, salt, vanilla, and the two sugars. Add in the chia gel and mix very well.
- Sift in the flour and baking soda.
- Mix, mix, mix until combined. Refrigerate until the oven is ready.
- Separate the dough into 12 little balls and place them on a baking paper lined baking tray. Flatten slightly. Just slightly, as the cookies will spread in the oven.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes. Leave on baking tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool. It’s okay to sneak a taste at this point as they are delicious warm.
- Enjoy with a freshly made espresso, coffee or tea (ew). Or dunk into some creamy, delicious homemade almond milk.