I love Sweet Potato Skins. Capitalized. Yes, that’s how important they are to me.
There are numerous good things about Sweet Potatoes and I will never be able to decide which I love the most, but one of their many attributes is their versatility. They are beautiful as chips, as fries, baked, grilled, stuffed… You really can’t go wrong with this orange wonder.
Not to rain on Sweet Potato’s parade, but I actually have a vegetable I love more. Mushrooms. Any kind of mushroom. Shiitake, Truffle, Portabello, Crimini, Enoki, Chanterelle, Porcini… (I want my next dog to be named Porcini) They are just such a beautiful vegetable with that great umami flavour that I absolutely adore, and they too are completely versatile.
So why not put my favourites together? I did. And it went well.
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 2 dl uncooked quinoa / I used the red kind
- 1/2 teaspoon of vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 200 g of mixed mushrooms of your choice
- vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon smoked salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili or cayenne
The Spinach & Raspberry
- 3 handfuls of fresh spinach
- 10+ fresh raspberries
- 2 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar / apple cider or balsamic
- Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F
- Scrub and stab the sweet potatoes all over with a fork
- Bake potatoes until tender / about 45 minutes
- Cook quinoa in water in a 1:2 ratio / about 20 minutes
- Add bouillon as it is boiling
- Remove from heat and add lime zest
- Fry mushrooms on medium to high
- Add smoked salt + chili/cayenne
- Heat coconut oil on medium heat
- Add spinach and vinegar / cook until soft
- Take off heat and add chopped raspberries
- Assemble, eat, enjoy, lie on sofa, breathe
I added a few dollops of mayonnaise, because why not…